Full-Time Senior Engineer II – Vehicle Controls
The largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy-Duty Transit Buses in North America. Our customers are in all 50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities and major private fleet operators. We are headquartered in Livermore, CA.
Company offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan and pension.
The Senior Vehicle Controls Engineer II will be responsible for driving the development of vehicle control logics for all company vehicles including diesel, hybrid, CNG, and zero emission buses. You will have the opportunities to lead the software development for new programs as well as composing unique software packages for customer-specific fleet of vehicles. This role requires you to work with the internal engineering teams as well as the external partners such as Sales, Purchasing, Parts, Customer Care, and Production departments. Assignments are broad in scope and highly complex that require outstanding creativity, superior initiative, good judgement, and leadership skill. This is a hands-on position.
- Vehicle Distributed Control Systems
- Vehicle Onboard Monitoring Systems
- Low Voltage Sensors and Actuators
- Body Control System
- Vehicle Control Communication Protocols
- Lead software development for new programs ranging from Battery Electric Bus (BEB), Fuel Cell, Next Gen Body Controller, ADAS…etc.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop customized algorithms for various components, sub-systems, and systems on the bus
- Develop functional requirements for the body controller, communication interfaces, diagnostics and fault detection for new vehicles
- Lead DFMEA to identify technical risks and drive the controls logic in order to improve detection and reduce potential failures of the design
- Review software design with cross functional teams to ensure the controls logic meet project requirements
- Bring up the prototype buses. This requires hands-on troubleshooting, testing, and data collecting to solve complex issues
- Train technicians and troubleshooters on the theory of operations and controls logic behind each component, subsystem, and system
- Work with Validation team to develop test plans to ensure the design meet program requirements
- Work with Publication team to ensure the bus manuals complete and accurately reflect the designs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Minimum 8 years of progressive engineering experience
- Ladder logic controls such as Allen-Bradley or Siemens PLC
- Software development using C/C++ or model development
- Diagnosis and troubleshooting electrical systems using tools such as function generator, multimeter, oscilloscope, etc.
- Opened and closed loop control systems for sensors, actuators, body controller, ECUs, etc.
- Manufacturing processes and environment
- Low voltage components such as circuit breakers, relays, and wiring, etc.
- High voltage components such as DCDC, motor and inverter, Li battery, and high-power charger, etc.
- Safety interlock loop
- CAN-Bus, LIN, and Ethernet communication protocol
- J1939/CAN tools such as CANalyzer, P-CAN, Kvaser, CANoe, CANApe, etc.
- J1939 database
- Leading projects
- Heavy-Duty vehicle
- MATLAB, Simulink, and State flowchart
- 8D, five whys, and fishbone process to diagnose complex issues
- Industry standards such as FMVSSS, NHTSA, DOT, NFPA, SAE, NEC, etc.
ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Working environment is primarily indoors (office and production environment), however, at times may require time spent outdoors
- Regularly required to sit, stand, and walk; occasionally kneel or squat
- Limited domestic travel
- Typical start time 6:00AM (Negotiable)
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
Minimum 8 years of progressive engineering experience
Experience in Ladder logic controls such as Allen-Bradley or Siemens PLC
Experience C/C++ or model development
Experience Diagnosis and troubleshooting electrical systems using tools such as function generator, multimeter, oscilloscope, etc.
Experience with Opened and closed loop control systems for sensors, actuators, body controller, ECUs, etc.
Experience in High/Low Voltage components.
Experience in Safety interlock loop, CAN-Bus, LIN, J1939/CAN tools, J1939 database
NICE TO HAVE:
Familiarity with Manufacturing processes and environment
Familiarity with Heavy-Duty vehicle
Familiarity with MATLAB, Simulink, and State flowchart
Familiarity with 8D, five whys, and fishbone process
Familiarity with Industry standards such as FMVSSS, NHTSA, DOT, NFPA, SAE, NEC, etc